Thursday, March 16, 2006

We're Moving! . . . Again?


Okay, this is silly, but I feel like I've won the lottery or something! Here's the story:

Moving Day #1: After getting married, my husband and I settled in an apartment in Davis. It was a comfortable little one-bedroom space. Manageable. We survived. It was about 500 square feet. But the bedroom door kept things separated. And since I had never lived outside of my parent's house, I would've been happy with just about anything that I could call 'my home.' I love to decorate, so I had a blast making that little space my own. But then crazy things happened in our lives. Trying times. We weren't fighting each other, but we were fighting other things together. And suddenly the walls were closing in on us. Suddenly my parent's house seemed so much further away than the hour it normally took to get there. Everything I had known changed for me all at once when Tim and I got married. For example, like I mentioned, I had only ever lived at home with mom and dad. Same house even! I had never actually moved. Okay, well, once, when I was like two or something, but that doesn't count! In addition to moving out of my parent's house to a new place somewhere an hour away, I also was leaving a job that I was proud of and had to find new work closer to where we were living. That was so stressful. I didn't get any calls back until the week before my wedding! Talk about waiting till the last minute! And then I was also moving away from my friends that I was comfortable and familiar with. But throughout all of this transition, I still felt like I was getting a better deal in marrying Tim. It was all worth it to me! I just didn't comprehend the stress that I was internalizing. Note to reader: NEVER INTERNALIZE THINGS. It was like I imploded - blew up from within. That was when we decided that it was time to move back to a place closer to family and friends. Back to things that I knew. Tim decided that he would commute to school until finishing in December (2005). So the search was on. Tim was so persistant (that's my man!) Finally he came across this place. The complex was built in 1999, so it is still fairly new. I never had the chance to actually see the place before moving in because it was so hard to get any time off work. So Tim got out his video camera and had the apartment manager take him through this apartment while he was filming so that I could see where we were moving. I didn't really care that much about what kind of place we would be moving to because I was totally consumed with so many other things. But I was impressed by what I saw in Tim's video. I just went along with it.


Moving day #2: I am running up the stairs to get to the third floor where our new apartment would be. The hall was long and looked like a hotel or something. It was like The Shining! Kinda freaked me out at first! And the aparment manager turns the key and here it is! WoW! Stairs! I've always wanted to live in a place with stairs! I come past the entryway and walk into the kitchen. Slash living room. Slash dining room. Slash office. Oh. wow. This is not exactly what I expected when Tim told me we were getting more square-feet in this place. 550. 50 more sqare feet than what we had before. I guess most of those square feet are on the stairs! And where is there even a bathroom in this little crackerjack-box place? Okay, now the bathroom might leave room for redemption. Now, the bedroom. Where would that be? In that closet over there? Huh. No, I guess that is what's left upstairs. I'm almost afraid to go up there. But I go. The apartment manager has decided not to follow me. I wonder why? When I get up stairs, I've found out why. There wouldn't be room for two of us up here! Okay, so I'm exaggerating a little. But seriously, what would even fit up here? Where will our clothes go? Does a queen bed even fit here? I imagine if it does that it takes up the entire upstairs! And there is no door. No bedroom door. It's all open. It's a loft. I should've known. I guess I just pictured it differently. Oh well. Let's see what we can do. Tim tells me that this is only temporary until he has graduated and gotten a new job. Then we'd get a bigger place. I sigh. At least I can decorate! Maybe I can find a way to turn this box into a home.
Temporary.
That was back in August (2005).
It's March (2006).
When will our ship come in? Will we be stuck here forever? And I thought the walls were closing in on us in Davis! I had no idea . . .


Moving Day #3 (TO BE ANNOUNCED). Now for the lottery explaination. Well, I feel like we've won the lottery because we've been trying so hard to get into a two-bedroom place! We really wanted to stay in this complex because it really is a nice complex. But our circumstances just kept changing and we couldn't qualify whenever a two-bedroom apartment opened up. We even started looking at other complexes because we have wanted to get more space. We need it! There is no place to put anything anymore! And with my scrapbook endevors increasing in volume, everything is in the way! So . . . drum roll please! We found out about two weeks ago that a family on the first floor in a two-bedroom apartment had put in their notice of intent to move. Our friendly apartment manager (I think she pities us!) said that she would do her best to make sure that we get the apartment! I guess the decision is made by the owner and some committee, so it's all very strict procedures. So we waited. And waited. Seems like we've been waiting forever!! We were even under the impression that the family was moving out last weekend! When we didn't see a moving truck/van, we just assumed it wasn't going to happen. Bummer. Such a let down. But Monday morning, Tim talked to the manager and she said that he's moving out this weekend!! That's why we didn't see a moving truck! Ohhhh!! Then, on Tuesday, we went in and SIGNED THE LEASE!! Whoo-hoo!! That means there's no goin back now! The place is officially ours and we will be officially moving downstairs to a spacious 800 square feet (don't laugh, that's a lot when you're just starting out - which I still say we are) apartment by next weekend! Ahh!! I just can't believe that everything's just falling into place! Oh, I'll share this other cool piece of exciting news: You know how when you first move into an apartment you have to have the rent $money$ and $money$ for a deposit? Since Tim hasn't actually started his "real" job yet, we definitely wouldn't have enough to pay all of this on our own. But guess what? After filing our taxes, we found that we'll be getting about $1000 back!! I am just in shock! This is really going to work out after all! Somebody pinch me please! I sure hope I don't wake up to find out this was all a really great dream because this is just so unreal! WoW! Okay, I'll stop my gawking. Sorry if I got a little carried away! To all of the friends and family out there, we'll let you know our new apartment NUMBER (not a new address!) as soon as we get all situated. Thanks for sharing in my excitement by reading this silly post! Much love!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

whooo hooo...happy for you in getting a bigger place.

This was a l----o----n----g writing this time. I always enjoy what you write, and I can tell you are writing as if you are telling a story verbally to someone. In reading what you write though, you might consider paragraphs to help separate the small print.

Little Green Olive said...

Yay! I am happy for you guys and can't wait to come over and stay the night with Mar in the "guest room"!

800 sq ft, hey tha's not bad at all!

XOXOXO

Unknown said...

Agreed. Long posts are difficult to read. But I do love how you retell our stories, my dear. I can't wait to have a new place!