Tuesday, March 21, 2006

So Close, Yet Still So Far Away


Okay, so I'm sure you're all probably so tired of reading about our move. But I guess it's a pretty big deal, so I can't help but write about it, especially since this is like a journal for me. So I'm sorry to say that this one is more for me than for you. Maybe next time . . .

I don't know if I'm even excited at all about this move anymore. The family that is in the apartment we're supposed to be moving into on Saturday was supposed to have moved out over this past weekend. Yesterday (Monday) the apartment manager once again gave us the discouraging news that they still haven't moved out. I guess the house they're moving into is still being fixed up and that it's still not ready. Well, it's been nearly three weeks that we've been here in limbo, waiting for them to move while they are still waiting to move. It looks like we will be living out of these mounds of boxes for two weeks instead of just this one. Even if this family did move out tomorrow, the apartment management here could not have the place thoroughly cleaned and prepared for us by this Saturday. I'm totally bummed. I know, I know, I should just be grateful to know that we WILL eventually get into that place! But it really stinks to keep hearing that "oh, they're moving out this weekend so you can plan to move in next weekend. " How many weeks now have we been told this? How in the world are we supposed to plan everything (like getting people together to help us on such short notice, getting this place all cleaned and ready to go - once and for all, and whether or not we should open the boxes to get what we need or just wait and do without for a while?) when we just don't have anything definate, concrete. Why can't this just be a normal move? That family out on a certain specific assigned day, their apartment available to us on a certain specific assigned day, and one for-sure, certain, specific, assigned day that we can be done with THIS place! It's not home here like this, you know? No pictures on the walls, no pillows on the couch, boxes everywhere to squeeze through, minimal necessities, empty cupboards, and no possible way to find what we need when we need it. This is just silly! I just have to hang in there. We WILL move. We WILL have that wonderful two-bedroom apartment. We WILL have a place to call home again. It's only a matter of time. Patience, my dear, patience. (Sigh . . . again.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This IS a totally "normal" move! What you are describing is exactly how most moves actually DO go!! It would be "abnormal" to pick a certain date and actually think that everything is going to go as planned. It's hard to wait the extra time, but just think how much more you will appreciate it when you finally get to move in! That's what I would hold on to.

Little Green Olive said...

Well sister, think about it htis way....it could be worse.

I just bought a great office chair that supports my lower back is super comfortable and was on sale - $20 off!

I got it home, put it together and it's too big for my desk.

So, I'll have to, well, I don't know...but I guess what I'm trying to say is that all you have to do is hold tight and do waht already been planned.....at least you don't have to unassemble a chair and take it bcak and start all over....

I don't know if that cheered you up any but it didn't really help me...

Whatever, we're fine! We live in America and have plenty of food on the table, or in your case on the kitchen counter, cuz those are probably not packed.

Good luck!

Unknown said...

I hate this too! I'm with you! (Literally!)

Viva La Revolution! Let's go down there and offer to help the people in 109 to move out! If that doesn't work, let's go help the people repairing the house to get their work done! If that doesn't work, let's threaten people and stalk them...

Maybe another lifetime... until then, I'll just sit back, and sulk all by my little pacifist self...