Monday, October 09, 2006

Shine on, Bright Light, Shine on




Where have you come from? Clearly you are not from this dark place in which I often reside. No . . . you are different. I do not recognize you as someone I know. I have not ever known someone like you. You aren't like the rest who came before, who once inhabited this somber place.


Your light shines so bright, so bright that I am afraid . . . but I am drawn. I want to come near to you, to know you and to become secure around you. Then I fear you and doubt that this could be real because the darkness pulls and fights to keep me down. And I decided, after the last mirage passed, that I had stopped believing in brightness altogether.


I know that to be near you is to be up and to be filled with your same brightness. I know that if you would consider staying in this place then I would have to change. Ultimately, I think this is what I fear most. This darkness that has enveloped me has had me convinced that change was not something that I was capable of.


Somehow your light shined its way into this hard, black place that is my heart. I don't understand why you would want to stay, but because you have, I just might have something to hold onto, to believe in and trust again. The fear is still real, but the light is more powerful than the dark and this is a glimmer of hope.


I had given up on friendships because my heart had been crushed so many times before. With no faith in recovery, I surrendered to dispair and the darkness swallowed me whole. Thank you for showing me that I can love and be loved once again and maybe for real this time. I have no further reason for looking down at my feet because your light shines ahead of me, differentiating black and white, dark and light, renewing the colors I thought I'd never see. Your true colors are beautiful, like a rainbow. Shine on, bright light, shine on.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OMG- this is a beautiful post! Truly any friend would be honored to be the subject of such affection. I am grateful for you to have a best friend (2nd only to myself, of course!) and I believe that you two have something very special that unites you. I have noticed your light shining brighter lately too! :-)