"Do not let this define you;
Instead define this for what it is."
-anonymous-
I am wrestling with this concept. It is wise. But it is hard. It is so difficult to separate yourself from those critical, judgmental, and prejudiced notions that you have somehow been trained to believe. Now it is so deeply imbedded into the core of your very self. In the midst of life, it is hard to believe that whatever 'this' is will not be who you are or will become. However, there is still some kind of thought, some decision, that you make along the way whether or not you will choose to believe that 'this' is who you are or if 'this' is how it is. The concept of this quote is to find the line between who you are and who you want to believe yourself to be. If you are sick, will you decide to let it become who you are or will you seek the proper care to understand the nature of the sickness? If you are poor, will you choose to let this be your life or will you remember what has brought you to this and try to make some changes? If you are sad, will you let the darkness overwhelm you or will you realize that you don't have to be in that darkness? There is only some extent to which we can change our situations. The best place to start is in our minds, where we are able to decide who we are and who we want to be. No one or no thing can define who you are unless you hand that power over to them. This power, this self, is so precious and personal. Protect it by protecting your mind from the destruction that looms, from what the world is telling us.

3 comments:
well said... writing is such a great medium for you to express yourself through. Sometimes, I think, it is letting the challenges (whether they be physical, emotional, or circumstantial) define you that ends up making you into the best person you can become. Not being mastered by the obstacles, but accepting their inevitability and deciding to climb over them no matter how big they may be...
It's the climb that makes you who you need to be.
I am in amazement. Could this be the Jessica I know? The one I shop for bargains with? The one I ask if my butt looks big in this outfit? I had no idea. I know that you are insightful, loving, kind, generous and crafty, creative and witty and tell silly and ridiculous jokes sometimes. But I had no clue you were such a fabulous writer, the prose, the style, the depth. Honey. Listen carefully. Are you paying attention? You are in the wrong profession! You should be a journalist. You should be an event coordinator, you should be an arts and crafts teacher, you should be an interior designer! You can do amazing things with your amazing talent. If you need further direction or complimments just call me ok. Love Bex
Your write beautifully and it seems that through your writing your are figuring yourself out. That is ALL good! But, what are you doing up at three in the morning? Shouldn't you be getting some sleep during that time?
Post a Comment