Sunday, January 22, 2006

Come, my love, and let us grow old together . . .




When has this begun? Let me remember the places of which we are from . . .

I vaguely remember the long shiny halls lined with small lockers. I would lay out there, amongst the butcher paper and markers, painting my way onto the halls of the middle school. We were still strangers, but somehow you found me. I remember the hustle and bustle of working at the student store after school and I remember your face when you came to my window. You asked me so genuinely what it would take to win my heart. In my immaturity and fear, I thought of the simplest thing: Wildberry Skittles! I laughed to myself because I could not quite understand why you would have such an interest. I remember the next day, just the same as any other, you came again to my window, but this time with a one pound bag of those purple Skittles. You won my heart right then and there, although I must admit that my heart was so fickle back then. We were still just kids! But you saw beyond that. You saw deep within me and you loved things about me that I hadn't even discoved yet myself. This struck fear within me and I tried to flee. You locked me down for the last dance of our last year of those last days at that junior high. I went along begrudgingly, still unaware of the future that lay ahead of us. Then that summer you explained to me why you thought so much deeper than others our age. You explained about the uncertainty of your life, the precious little time that you thought that you had, and the reason why you belived in us so much. You know that this still did not sway me, not because I did not care, but because I was terrified of getting so close and still knowing that the future could be so bleak.

We went to our separate high schools, and I began to slowly understand you in a best friend sort of way. I treasure those car trips to church events, our friends' houses, and other road trips. We talked and laughed and learned so much together as our high school years ebbed away. Our love did grow. It grew out beyond a mere friendship and instead began to develop into the most beautiful and powerful love that either of us had ever known. I remember that sparkly Christmas Eve, as we sat talking in the hallway to my bedroom. I remember discussing our futures because we were so uncertain of what was to come after graduating from high school. It was so hard to see a life beyond that, wasn't it? You said that you were afraid to be my boyfriend because you didn't want to tie me down for college. You said that you wanted me to be able to date others if I wanted to and not have to worry about you. I could not help but laughing as I brought up the significance of what I wanted. I don't want to date anyone else, I said. I know that I want to be with you! And that was when we decided to begin a pure dating relationship. And the years flew by as we lived, laughed, and learned so much about love and each other. I cannot even describe the youthful delight that we felt during those times. And we savored it all. And we did not spoil it all.

And on one beautiful occasion, we went on a date to a wedding. Can you believe that I caught the bouquet? And do you remember when the garter got stuck in the rafters after the groom tossed it back and all of the guys around you boosted you up to reach it down? I was just amazed that such a coincidence could be possible. And I knew that this day was going to be very special, unforgettable. We went to a park and enjoyed a wonderful picnic after the wedding. I remember walking around the pond at UC Davis as we prayed and thanked God for this relationship. We even saw a wild peacock along the way, remember? And as we rounded a corner, a large gazebo lit by candlelight came into view. There was a table set for two and as we drew nearer I saw that rose petals had been gently sprinkled all over the ground. Of course, I knew something big was about to happen, so I became very jittery and nervous, even though I was trying to act like I wasn't. As we sat down at the table, some of our friends appeared from behind the gazebo dressed like waiters and waitresses. They poured us some sparkling cider (I wasn't even 21 yet) and served us a delicious dinner that they had prepared. I was so anxious that I could barely eat, so you asked me to dance. I stood up and took your hand as you led us across the rose-petaled floor. I don't even remember how long we were dancing! I just remember when you stopped, handed me two dozen gorgeous red roses. You plucked something out of them as you handed me the bouquet and then got down on one knee. You sang to me this lovely song you had written and I was definately in tears by now. You held out the ring and asked me the one question every girl dreams about from the moment she understands words: Will you marry me? Oh, baby! I melted! And gleefully said yes! over and over as we hugged! (April 3rd, 2004)

And the engagement flew by. We learned even more about each other through this period of six months. Ultimately, we fell more in love and eagerly anticipated the wedding day. And I remember this, too, as if it were yesterday. I remember waking up in the morning and thinking that this was going to be the best day of my life because I was going to marry the man that has loved me since the eighth grade and I was going to be his wife! I kept admiring the ring that I knew was about to be joinded to its matching band. I knew that this day would symbolize some kind of completion, the ultimate unity. I remember just giggling all the while I was getting ready. I could not shake my smile. I remember walking down the isle. Your face, struck with the beams of the sun, squinting, smiling, crying. And I couldn't tell if I was laughing or crying anymore. It was so much emotion, so much joy, so much bliss. The service was just beautiful and everything went so perfectly. And then it ended and the minister looked up and said those exciting words that we've anticipated hearing for so long: You may kiss the bride! And we kissed and it was amazing. This was our FIRST kiss. Ever. We had been looking forward to this in ways that many couples will never understand. And it was indescribable. (September 4th, 2004)

I don't look back on anything, wishing that it had been different. I know that your life is so valuable, somehow more precious than most people will live with. So I treasure everyday. I feel like a princess because you are all that I have ever dreamed of in a man, in a husband. You have captured my heart forever. And I love you so much. Let us grow old together.


1 comment:

marz said...

Oh wow, Jess, you are an incredible writer! It's incredible to read this considering I was on onlooker to the love that developed between you two. You have the most special bond. God has brought you so far!