Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Earthquakes

Last night, while my husband was at church, I was home, sitting at my scrapbooking desk, playing as usual. At 8:04pm, I heard a rumble - I couldn't tell where it was coming from, but it was getting louder, closer. Then my heart skipped a beat as everything around me began to shake. It took me a minute to register . . . I was feeling an earthquake. I slowly got up and moved to stand in the door frame of the room. From that spot, I watched the hanging pots and pans bang against each other, wondering if they would all come crashing down. They didn't. It was over so fast! Literally, all of this happened in mere seconds! I felt a few slight tremors afterwards, but nothing was so great as the first.


I suppose this time I was able to revel in the experience more because I was not so fearful. It was unpleasant to be alone, sure, but I was not afraid that this was the end-all. Actually, I was kind of excited that I got to feel that crazy rush of adrenaline. I am thankful that no one was hurt and that nothing was damaged. The earthquake registered as a 5.6 on the Richter-Scale. (The large blue box is the one I'm talking about.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At church I thought that Alex Paez was shaking his leg while we were praying - making the whole row move... but then we started going sideways and I realized it had to be an earthquake. It was kinda cool that we all had our eyes closed and were in prayer - reminds me of those powerful prayers in the 1st century church!

I was sad that I wasn't with you, and a little worried for you - but I am glad that you were safe and even exhilirated by the experience!

Always wishing I was with you-
Yours.