Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Bits & Pieces

When I was in Minneapolis, Minnesota, on a bus going from here to there, I happend to see this on a wall and I stared at it for a minute before actually taking this picture. I had to consider what it might mean . . .



I thought of BITS & PIECES . . . a bunch little things (anything, really) and then watching them come together artistically, beautifully, and creatively . . . like this picture I found . . .


And then I thought about this a little deeper. Like life. What am I but a bunch of BITS & PIECES of experiences, feelings, thoughts, lessons, and ideas? All of the pieces of me are brought together to PRESENT A SEMBLANCE OF A WHOLE, though I am not completely whole. I am just a SEMBLANCE . . .

SEMBLANCE = 1. An outward token or appearance. 2. A likeness 3. The barest trace


It looks like a heart. That is the appearance of it. If you trace the outline, you might barely see that a heart is there. But really it is all just a bunch of BITS & PIECES of scraps put together. And what it is altogether is somehow whole. Each PIECE plays its role in creating the bigger picture, the SEMBLANCE OF A WHOLE. And it is beautiful in its own way.

Again, I say that is life. Somedays, I may not appear to be whole of myself. I would say that it could be the BITS & PIECES of my day that came together in the way that they did. Somedays, I might appear to have it all together, as if I am somehow whole. I would say that it could be the BITS & PIECES of my life that came together to create this SEMBLANCE. And my life includes the people that touch it. I would say that they are the way to trace the outline of my life. Where there are PIECES missing, that is where I am not whole. That is where I have needs. I believe that somehow we all have these needs to be filled by other people. And ultimately, somehow, we all come together to PRESENT A SEMBLANCE OF A WHOLE.

1 comment:

Jinzanmei said...

You're a bit and a piece that's come into my life and filled a little space in my heart...

It's true that our life is made of bits and pieces, moments, experiences... and they all come together to make a whole. It reminds me of the quote:

If you sow a thought, you reap an action. If you sow an action, you reap a habit. If you sow a habit, you reap a character. If you sow a character, you reap a lifestyle. If you sow a lifestyle, you reap your destiny.

So funny how little we often think of the "little" moments in time, when in fact, they really do all add up to making who we really end up becoming...

I think we should embrace our pasts...successes and failures alike.

Okay, that's all the random thoughts that were evoked by this blog. :) Heh...my blog inside your blog!